Nitrogen Management Trainings
Since 2014, CIWR and the University of California's Cooperative Extension have developed trainings and short courses to improve nitrogen management practices in California through support of the California Department of Food and Agriculture.
Online Nitrogen Management Course
In California, agricultural producers must develop an annual nitrogen management plan in consultation with a certified crop adviser (CCA) at the beginning of the growing season, followed by reporting actual N use the following year. As the mandate of the ILRP widens, our reliance on an educated and informed CCA workforce becomes more important. We developed an online curriculum and video series on nitrogen management reporting along with resources for partners involved in administering certification exams.
Project Team: Doug Parker (CIWR/UC ANR), Amanda Crump (UC Davis), Sat Darshan (UC Davis)
Project Period: 2020-present
Project Support: CDFA Contract #19-0951-000-SA
Nitrogen Management Training for Certified Crop Advisers
The University of California, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources, with support from the California Department of Food and Agriculture’s Fertilizer Research and Education Program, developed a training program aimed at helping growers to develop efficient nitrogen management practices. The training has been offered since 2014 to Certified Crop Advisers through the California Association of Pest Control Advisers, in locations around the state.
Past Training Events
- January 14-15, 2014: Modesto, Ag Commissioner Bldg
- February 18-19, 2014: Woodland, Heidrick Ag Center
- February 25-26, 2014: Fresno, Ramada
- March 5-6, 2014: Salinas, Salinas Elks Lodge
- March 11-12, 2014: Tulare, International Ag Center
- January 13-14, 2015: Fresno, Ramada Inn
- February 24-25, 2015: SLO, Courtyard by Marriott
- March 10-11, 2015: Sacramento, Scottish Rite Temple
- January 20-21, 2016: Fresno, Radisson
- March 7-8, 2017: Fresno, Radisson
- March 6-7, 2018: Fresno, Wedgewood
- March 12-13, 2019: Fresno, Wedgewood
- March 3-4, 2020: Fresno, Wedgewood
Project Team: Doug Parker (CIWR/UC ANR), Faith Kearns (CIWR/UC ANR)
Project Period: 2014-2020
Photos by Steve Beckley.