2021-2023 WRRA 104(b) Projects
CIWR leverages funds from WRRA's 104(b) program to support early-career researchers in California for 2-year projects up to $25,000.
For the 2021-2023 grant cycle, CIWR funded 104(b) projects that included:
- Nathaniel Bogie of San Jose State is researching deep groundwater recharge and healthy soil management practices to increase the sustainable use of groundwater.
- Jennifer Duggan of California State University, Monterey Bay is assessing wildlife use of three types of agricultural ditches to improve food safety and water quality.
- Priya Ganguli and Scott Hauswirth of California State University, Northridge are assessing contaminant distributions and sources in Castaic Lake to identify primary sources of mercury and provide baseline water quality data.
- Laurie Huning of California State University, Long Beach is using historical data and future projections to better understand drought.
- Scott Jasechko of UC Santa Barbara is quantifying where water that ends up in rivers and wells originates from to better understand where water goes when it rains.
- Mallika Nocco of UC Davis is developing climate-smart actions and indicators for increasing soil water capacity by identifying key barriers to the adoption of best practices.
- Debra Perrone of UC Santa Barbara is characterizing and analyzing legal controls on groundwater extractions to provide a framework of allocation systems to inform management.
- Steven Sadro of UC Davis is disentangling the mechanisms through which mega-wildfires affect lake productivity to improve management in the face of increasing wildfires.