State Water Efficiency and Enhancement Program (SWEEP)
The SWEEP deadline passed on December 16, 2019.
The State Water Efficiency and Enhancement Program (SWEEP) provides financial assistance in the form of grants to implement irrigation systems that reduce greenhouse gases and save water on California agricultural operations.
Funds and timeline: Farmers and ranchers can receive up to $100,000.
Awarded projects will be announced in spring 2020, then projects can begin starting June 15th, 2020 and must be completed within 18 months.
Eligible practices include:
- Installation of a variable frequency drive
- Pump retrofit or replacement
- Solar panels
- Soil moisture sensors
- Electronic weather station linked to irrigation controller
- Use of evapotranspiration (ET) based irrigation scheduling
- Conversion to micro-irrigation or drip irrigation
- Conversion to low-pressure irrigation system
How to Apply:
The grant process includes a web-based application consisting of a series of questions that can be saved and returned to before submitting - click here to start your application.
Before you apply, you will need to gather three main pieces of information:
1. A pump efficiency test. For more information on how and where to get a pump test, click here. PG&E customers are eligible for a subsidy that pays for most of the cost of this testing.
2. The last twelve months of your energy records.
3. Quotes from vendors for the costs of your project components and installation.
Please note: The online application can be difficult, so we strongly encourage you reach out to your nearest UC Cooperative Extension specialist for help writing your application.
There is also a series of in-person SWEEP workshops across the state. Please click here to see the list.
Projects located in "Severely Disadvantaged Communities" or SDACs will receive priority funding. To determine if you are in one of these areas, click here.
The grant application period is open starting October 21st, 2019 and will close in December 16th, 2019.
To see what types of projects have been awarded previously, click here to view the list of 2018 awardees.