State Water Efficiency and Enhancement Program (SWEEP)
The State Water Efficiency and Enhancement Program (SWEEP) provides financial assistance in the form of grants to implement irrigation systems that reduce greenhouse gases and save water on California agricultural operations.
Eligible practices include:
- Installation of a variable frequency drive
- Pump retrofit or replacement
- Soil moisture sensors
- Electronic weather station linked to irrigation controller
- Use of evapotranspiration (ET) based irrigation scheduling
- Conversion to micro-irrigation or drip irrigation
- Pump conversion from diesel to electric or to renewable energy such as solar
- Conversion to low-pressure irrigation system
How to Apply:
The grant process includes a web-based application consisting of a series of questions that can be saved and returned to before submitting: https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/oefi/sweep/
It is helpful to obtain quotes for projects and schedule a pump efficiency test before starting the application, as you will need them to complete the application. For more information on how and where to get a pump test, click here.
Projects located in "Severely Disadvantaged Communities" or SDACs will receive priority funding. To determine if you are in one of these areas, click here.
Please contact your local UC Cooperative Extension specialist for questions or help with the application.